Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Peas Glorious Peas

It's been far too long since my last post during such a busy growing season!  The lettuce is almost done and we had a better crop than last year.



However for next year I am going to have less arugula and more spinach.  Seeing that I am the only one in the family that likes arugula, devoting 4 squares to it was way too much.  Next year arugula only get's 1 square.

The peas are going crazy.  I will harvest all that I see in one evening, and then come out the next evening to see a whole new crop ready to be picked.  It's like I hadn't even picked any the day before.  And boy they are so sweet and tender.  I think for every 3 pods I pick, I will pop one in my mouth.


Not sure what to make of my raspberry bush.  It was going full force the beginning of spring.  I could almost taste the fresh berries in my mouth.  But now were are in the end of June and they seemed to have just stopped ripening.  I have no idea why this is.  Unless perhaps the bush needs another year to mature as this is only it's first year producing anything.



I harvested my garlic the other day.  And think I might have waited a bit too long to harvest.  It's tough to tell when it's ready as I pulled one out a month ago and it was still on the small side.  Now I pulled out this bunch and they seem on the edge of being "over ready".  I'll have to do some research on the prime time to harvest it.  I think next year I am going to increase my garlic growing so I can give some away to friends.


And finally at the last minute we joined a 2nd CSA called Vollemecke Orchards to get some fresh eggs. 


As much as I want to raise chickens, it just would not be the best thing in our current home.  So co-op eggs will have to do.  While there we picked up fresh ground beef and fresh strawberries and yogurt made from fresh dairy.  The yogurt is unbelievably rich and creamy, like a yummy dessert.  It beats the pants off the store bought yogurts for sure.



Next post will be on the tomatoes and the introduction of a new vegetable to my garden, the asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment