Oh my! What a weekend I had. We were supposed to have gone to Washington DC this weekend as I was registered to run in the Cherry Blossom 10-miler, but we have been going non-stop and decided to stay put this weekend. That gave me that chance to work on the garden some. As a result I got quite a bit done.
On Saturday I worked on weeding and tilling up some of the beds a bit. Hard work for sure. I had put down compost from my compost bin in the fall, and so the soil is very rich and ready to go for the summer. I will add compost throughout the year as needed by just laying some on top and turning it in a bit. Anyway, I was able to weed around the garlic that is growing nicely as well as the chive and oregano. Also I cut back the dead from my asparagus and weeded around it. All in all quite pleased with how the beds cleaned up.
Here is the garlic that I planted in the fall:
While I was tilling up the beds, I decided to remove the strawberries that I had planted last year. I realized that for my garden, planting strawberries was a bad idea. I just don't have the room to support them. Perhaps when we have more land I will have a separate area just for strawberries. So for now I dug them up and decided to pot them, hoping that they will produce a few strawberries this summer in the pot.
And finally, for the end of Saturday, I planted a first phase of lettuce, some spinach, arugula, swiss chard and some cilantro.
All-in-all a productive first day.
For Sunday, (today) I first worked on getting my peppers into larger pots as they were just sitting in peat pellets.
After that I Matt and I worked on planting some flower seeds. So now they are busy "incubating" So they will be ready to go for the summer.
Matt counted them and we planted 80 flower seeds in all! The above picture is my indoor set up. This is our bedroom. Our bedroom gets the best/most sun so this is where I start all my seedlings. Mike made that little enclosed plexiglass box for me to help create a mini greenhouse for me to aid in germination.
I also finished tilling up the rest of my beds. This bed I will be planting potatoes. Which I will be putting red potatoes in the ground this week.
And finally, planted sugar snap peas, peas, snow peas, green beans, soy beans, parsley and transplanted the broccoli I started.
In hindsight, I am concerned that I should have held off on planting the broccoli outside, but if it doesn't take, I'll just start again with a direct sow in the ground.
Anyway, busy weekend indeed. I am quite sore from all that work. Getting old is no fun, but it was great to be outside and working in the dirt again.